Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reflection art project

I had to do an art project for my internship as a reflection of the internship. 
Hmmm.......
Interesting. How to describe the drama? The chaos? The girls? The past three months?
I found this quote in my favorite magazine Real Simple. It's by Ralph Waldo Emerson. 
"What is a weed? A plants whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
When i read it, i thought how perfect to describe my feelings not only for my clients, but also for my internship. I have been frustrated throughout this semester and this internship hasn't been easy for me. This quote really nails my feelings because it made me realize that while my internship has seemed like a weed a lot of times, that doesn't mean that it is without virtues. I did learn a lot, and i did make a difference in a few girls' lives. 
The process of carving the block also mirrored my internship in that it was slow and took a lot of time and patience. Draw, trace, heat, carve, heat, carve, heat, carve... you get the picture. The whole process was therapeutic for me as i reflected on my last day at the internship, and what it's been like for me. I know that the more i think about it, the more virtues i'll find. 







1 comment:

  1. you are so artsy! love it. come visit and help me finish those lamps!

    ReplyDelete